Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Crawdad way down in creek

In the last few days, I have heard people on the other side of Cache Creek talking about Crawdads or Crawfish, Crayfish and so on. Kids, adults, fisherfolk, all exclaiming about Crawwhatevers. I had just seen my first one on the creek recently and so I kept wondering about all the excitement. I thought that since the water had dropped from my beam that I would not be able to see any on my deep side.
Imagine my excitement this morning when I peered over the wall! There was a big fat crawdad hanging off the rungs of the ladder, semi-concealed in some pondweed.
Then I looked over the side where a small boat shelter used to be in a very shallow area and voila! Crawdads galore. They were mostly hanging on the wall, just under the water which is about four or five feet down from the top of the wall.
There was even one on top of a chunk of lyngba algae floating around in the tiny backwater. After I ran for the camera and took some photos, I was amazed to see in the water, along with lots of small fish, tiny crawdads too. Maybe I should post that as well, just for general interests.

No comments: